Sunday 18 March 2007

Why I love Fine art black and white photographs


I know digital is here to stay, but the prints that come out of a Digital printer, after a great deal of colour calibration, don’t move me, in the same way that feels much.
I have worked on for many days, (Forget me not series Photo paintings in progress )there's something about holding a silver print which has been beautifully printed ,that Digital can't reach, this is from someone who does actually shoot a lot of digital ,Space is digital and so is Voyage around Manchester Geological Gardens .
I hope that film and print by hand never dies, like painting didn’t when photography arrived.
I know it’s a losing battle with Paper companies closing down (Agfa which made the most delightful fibre based paper ever, it had a lovely golden brown tone to it) and Forte which I haven’t used, but is also no longer with us, but at least we still have Ilford which has made a big commitment to us traditional black and white printers and of course Kentmere in the lake district which also make wonderful paper.
Anyway this week I am going to coat my own paper, using handmade Fabriano paper and Liquid Light Emulsion brought from Jessops, I want to print A1 size by hand , never printed that large before ,I ‘ll print a few ,and keep one and destroy the rest by Fire, water , wind, anything involving the destruction of the print (landscape) and if it’s sunny I can also start filming my installation of the future of hidden landscapes as well, need to edit over Easter and work on the soundscape as well.

No comments: